Covid-19 is continuing to make headlines around the world this year. Yet cancer will kill a larger number of people globally – 10 million every year. Patients with cancer are more vulnerable to contracting Covid-19, and have more than double the death rate from Covid-19 compared to patients without cancer. Cancer, of course, falls individuals from all walks of life. Well-known Americans to die of cancer in the past year range from Chadwick Boseman, the African-American hero of the film “Black Panther” who passed away at age 43, to talk show host Rush Limbaugh at age 70. Award-winning MIT cancer researcher Angelika Amon herself died at age 53 of cancer last October.
Against that backdrop, Forbes China will hold the second “Forbes China Healthcare Summit” on August 28, 2021 (August 27, 2021 in the U.S.). The theme of the summit will be “Advance the Global Fight Against Cancer and Achieve an International Moonshot in the Post-Pandemic Era.” The free, online event is being organized by Forbes China in strategic partnership with Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (MSK) in New York. Participants include:
* Moira Forbes, Executive Vice President, Forbes Media
* Lisa DeAngelis, MD, Physician-in-Chief and Chief Medical Officer, MSK
* Hon. Kevin Rudd, President and CEO, Asia Society, 26th Prime Minister of Australia
* Richard Pazdur, MD, Director, Oncology Center of Excellence, FDA
* Wu Yi-Long, MD, Chairman, Chinese Thoracic Oncology Group
* Bob Li, MD, PhD, MPH, Physician Ambassador to China and Asia-Pacific, MSK
* Sir Murray Brennan, MD, Senior Vice President, International Programs, MSK
* Andrea Myers, MD, PhD, Global Program Head, Lung Cancer, Novartis
* John Oyler, Founder and CEO, BeiGene
* Joy Yan, MD, PhD, Chief Medical Officer, Ambrx
* Andrew Zhu, MD, PhD, Director, International Cancer Center, Jiahui International Hospital; Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center, Harvard Medical School
* Kenneth Manotti, Senior Vice President and Chief Development Officer, MSK
* Tyler Jacks, PhD, President, Break Through Cancer
* Martin Murphy, DMedSc, PhD, Co-Founder, CEO Roundtable on Cancer and Shanghai TuoXin Health Promotion Center
* Yibing Shan, PhD, Managing Director, Antidote Health Foundation for Cure of Cancer
I’ll host. Participants will discuss opportunities and challenges for collaboration in the global fight against cancer including patient care, research, regulatory policy, and philanthropy.
The event will begin at 8 p.m. on Friday, August 27, ET in the U.S. and Saturday, August 28, 8 a.m. in China. Click here to register.
Here are some highlights from the first Forbes China Healthcare Summit in 2020:
Questions? Please email me at email@example.com
Follow me: @rflannerychina